Friday, July 6, 2007

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Have you ever had an hallucination? I have, but at the time I did not know they were hallucinations, I simply thought I was going crazy. It took 8 years to find out that I was having a full blown episode of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. It took a while longer to realize I had symptoms of the order at least 12 years prior to that horrid experience in 1998.

"In 2005 the Department of Veterans Affairs announced it would contact
veterans with severe PTSD and ask them to prove that they deserved their disability payments." Source In 2005 I was too wrapped up in my own problems to really pay attention to what my homeless peers were telling me about their Vet benefits. Now I understand.

Have you ever tried to prove that you have experienced hallucinations? When I tried a psych doc told me: "grow up". At the time, I was worried that I had schizophrenia, because I knew a bit of the symptoms of the disorder. I did not know that symptoms from schizophrenia are much the same as from PTSD and Bipolar disorder. I was actually diagnosed as having bipolar which set off more symptoms of PTSD. Long story there.

My traumas are much less then a Vet who saw babies bombed apart body parts, but I can relate to the symptoms and frustration of having to prove you have them.

Senator helped pass legislation to stop those reveiws. As President he might be able to help people like me who fell through the system and became on account of it.

Obama Homeless

No comments: