Thursday, January 31, 2008

Soccer

Sitting at the table at Alamitos Beach, with the homeless party-ers. I tend to forget that alcoholism is a dis-ease. And, the nature of the beast, of drug addiction. Eddie is stuck in his past, as I am in mine; we're not that much different, just deal with it differently, 'tis all. Yet some of the drug people think one quite crazy when one doesn't know the pleasure of getting high. Especially the young ones. Rather like someone extolling the virtue's of their favorite food. Blood Soup, eel, sguingel, esgargots, rabbit, squirrel, dog meat? To each his own, methinks. Just because you like it doesn't mean I should. Give me chocolate, peas, cantaloupe, almonds, broccoli, carrots, thank you.

Watch the kids play soccer. It's a beautiful sunny So Calif day. Mind drifts to the past when I was one of them. Had a home to go home to. Some days I'm normal and will talk to these people as I used to in the olden days. Smiles, which is your son? How old is he? Blah, blah, blah. Other days, I'm too aware, I'm one of them, the homeless. Know how they perceive us. Scum, weakfish, low-lifes. Those days can't talk to anyone at all.

"Can you imagine, a tank pulling up, soldiers mowing down those laughing playing children?" I ask. "How would you feel?". We talk about politics, the latest war. "Right now, there is a mother over there...". Don't recall my words. Human beings lives are being disrupted. All they want to do is live, love, laugh and be happy. Have normal lives. Watch their children grow up. Have grandchildren. It seems so simple to me. The child watching the tanks, the bombing, family members dying, that isn't playing soccer, is not going to grow up predisposed to liking the enemy. I wonder as I sit there with the party people, if those happily watching their children playing, realize how blessed they are, with the freedom. Do they think, thank you, thank you, thank you, that I was born (or migrated) here, not there.

Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006, 09:36 AM

Postscript:
I decided not to edit this post for clarity. Most of my homeless peers are too busy with survival to think about a far off war; some are still talking about their days in Viet Nam, often haunted by the experience. I watch our US children doing what is being denied to those Iraqi children and my heart is sad for our heartless government for taking away their childhood and innocence. Today everyone that mentions the HC-words with fondness my blood boils. Especially the NOW (National Orgainzation for Women) ladies, Gloria Steinem who think Ms. Clinton's power quest to break the "ultimate glass ceiling" is more important than the lives of those children, not to mention the women's pain.

I had the displeasure of seeing one of the C-word Nevada ad videos. Not hard to guess who her targeted audience was and to see her blatant bigotry. No woman should be voting for that. Those could be your children; that could be you. Where is the global sisterhood? Heart sick.

No comments: