Saturday, March 1, 2008

Central Park Rapists

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 titled Herstory

"Takes too long," is what I say*.

Saw yesterday a mention of the Central Park Jogger rapes, an old story I missed.

April, 1989. Will never forget it. My daughter narrowly missed death, in the hospital, the news on the television is about the jogger's brutal rape, lying in a coma as I sit in another hospital, 100 miles away. (more or less) Thus those two things, a front page news event and my own more personal one, intertwined in memory.

Now I read, about a year ago the boys that were convicted of the crime were released. Seems there never was any DNA evidence to link them to the crime, but there was to a jailed rapist that admitted his guilt.

How sad. The boys spent, what, 10 years behind bars for a crime they did not do. I remember how the papers painted a picture of them as savage beasts taking pleasure, no remorse for their "crime". 17 years, the time it takes a baby to mature, into an adult. It seems I've lived two lifetimes in that amount of time. No wonder I feel so tired.

*I wonder if people get what I say. I meant mystory takes too long to tell.

No comments: