Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Email from Feinstein

February 8, 2008
Dear Ms. Mariano

Thank you for writing to me about the "Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007" (H.R. 1955). I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.

As you may know, this bill directs the Secretary of Homeland Security to establish a grant program to prevent domestic terrorism, to establish a university-based center for the study of these issues, and to conduct a survey of methodologies implemented by foreign nations to prevent radicalization and homegrown terrorism.

I agree with you that we need to protect the constitutional rights of Americans. I have been a strong advocate of civil liberties. At the same time, and in light of the September 11 tragedy, I believe we need to give our law enforcement and intelligence agencies the tools they need to prevent and respond to future terrorist attacks. I continue to work hard to maintain this delicate balance.

As you may know, H.R. 1955 has been referred to the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs. I do not serve on this Committee, but should the bill come before the full Senate for consideration, I will keep your thoughts in mind. Once again, thank you for writing. Best regards.


Sincerely yours,
Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator

No comments: