Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Coldest Winter

A blurb from Cleveland Ohio's "The Plain Dealer" says of "The Coldest Winter" by Sister Souljah: "...a fast, fun read". Do not know how fast people can read over 400 pages and it is not exactly a comic story leaving readers rolling on the floor, laughing.

Yesterday I returned a book to the library. I could not get past page 13, giving up on the second paragraph of chapter two. Another book I returned sat bookmarked at page 43 all week. I gave up and read the ending of a 300 some page mystery novel about midway through it. "The Coldest Winter" did what I wanted it to do. Once my eyes got too heavy to read another sentence I put it down and fell fast asleep. The Person Known As Sister Souljah (Lisa Williamson) makes writing seem easy. Odd that I did not skim read descriptions of food and clothing, because I said to myself of the 300 page novel, "If I were an editor I would edit out 100 pages," because authors seemed obsessed with food and outfits. That stuff is fluff, not advancing the plot fast enough for me. I guess: "It's not what you say, it's how you say it," applies.

The word "homeless" showed up a lot in "The Coldest Winter". Some quotes:

"Worst of all he reminded me of the bad shape I was in myself being homeless and all."

"But after the light landed on my face, hair, skin, and brand new Joan & David heels, he took the light off me 'cause I surely wasn't a homeless bum."

"Oh no, you tryna take me to Souljah's house like I'm some kind of charity case. A homeless runaway or something."

"Do you have homeless people here?" I asked him."What?" he responded a little puzzled."
"Ordinary question for a New Yorker," I smiled.
"Our homeless live better than I do, and I work! When you live in a town where people have money there's a lot of charity. Practically any church can point ya in the right direction. hey! You're the most glamorous homeless person I ever saw,"...

"The man who took me in when I was jobless and homeless has been like a father to me."
"Then they had the mother of the bodyguard saying he was such a good boy. He volunteered to feed the homeless on the holidays, blah, blah, blah."

I used to say: "I'm in good company." When I still had my websites, I wrote once that I would stop doing that. Saying, "blah, blah, blah." Not that I have it in me to write a novel like "The Coldest Winter", yet it was neat seeing an author that did, use those words. (10/30/08)

No comments: