Friday, December 19, 2008

Slash

Slash with Anthony Bozza do not mention being homeless in the biography "Slash". He mentions being a vagrant or living the street life sometimes, but at those times he was usually not living on the streets. He and he other members of Guns 'N Roses "crashed" at other people's apartments, slept on couches or floors, always on the move with no permanent address of their own or were basically homeless, especially Slash and Axl Rose.

After being asked to leave by a friend whose apartment he was staying at, he moved "into Gun's rehearsal space" where Axl was already living. Slash says "it was one of three storage units...that were meant to house boxes or cars, not people. The front door was a corrugated aluminum roll-up like the kind you find on a cheap garage,the floor was sealed concrete...". There was a "communal bathroom about fifty yards away." He describes it as being 15 x 20 feet and the guys rigged up a wooden platform for a "loft" to hold a bed.

Slash mentions a guy named West Akreen: "The only place I knew West to live on a regular basis back then was in his beat-up El Camino."

He says of the rental vans he liked to destroy "Those vans were mobile hotel rooms..." "...all of my belongings were in an empty storage room at Take 1." He would go there to change his clothes, happy if he got to take a shower where ever he crashed ~ usually a girl's apartment. Why he and his party friend's got their kicks destroying hotel rooms and other people's property (rentals or places they crashed) is unknown to me, except that they were always drinking or using some kind of drugs.

In London a girl started following the guys around while they were looking for a pub: "We weren't sure if she was a runaway, a groupie, homeless or emotionally disturbed, but by the end of the night it was clear that she intended to stay wherever we were staying, because it didn't seem like she anywhere else to go."

Slash and his friends started panhandling when he was about 13 years old; he also started a life long habit of shoplifting at that age. His infamous top hat ~ the first one he wore for a Guns 'N Roses performance was stolen. He mentions finding his first pair of leather pants in a Dumpster. Furnishing apartments where the guys were often evicted within months due to their destructive habits, was often done in part by whatever furniture they found in alleys.

Being detained at the airport arriving home from Europe, Slash needed to pay a $190. waiver to leave. He did not carry cash and his security guard, Ronnie "...went panhandling in the airport, at the arrivals terminals in LAX,to get it." Moral of that tale, is not all panhandlers are homeless. It amazes me how many kids in Long Beach "panhandle" or walk up to strangers asking for money. In addition to stealing what he wanted, like cassettes and bikes, Slash started using drugs at an early age, hence the panhandling. I guess I will be looking at children who approach me for money with suspicion for the rest of my life. Prior to reading this book, I simply thought these youngsters were simply "starting early", being rude. Now I will be assuming they are trying to gather money to buy drugs.


Unrelated to homelessness is an earthquake, I imagine it was the Northridge quake. I recently read that one should never stand in doorways, which is what I thought was the advice I always read when I just happened to be sitting on the "stoop" or back doorway during the last quake I felt. Slash, obviously heard all the same advice I once did, because he got his wife up from sleep to stand her in the doorway and then attended to getting her cousin up and doing likewise.

Also unrelated to homelessness, Slash mentions being in Manhattan for a gig on September 11, 2001. His lady wanted to get out of town and they were finally able to get a limo to cross the only George Washington Bridge, the only one that was open. I thought about my brother, whose company opened the door for Red Cross that day, attending to victims hurt at the WTC. He had to leave his car in the city, finally getting a ferry to cross into New Jersey to make his way home.

Slash and Perla drove through New Jersey into the Pocono's, staying at Pocono Palace for a few nights. I do not recall the Pocono Palace, but it sounded typical of the "honeymoon" resorts, such as Mt. Airy, with a tub shaped liked a champagne glass. He said that a lot of the other couples staying at the resort had not heard about the planes in New York city and those that did seemed unconcerned about the national disaster. That reminded me of the phone call I made to the arse, Jet. I told him I would not be calling him the next day to wish him a happy birthday. He too was unconcerned about the WTC bombings, I mean planes, starting his birthday celebrating early.

His mother had flown to Chicago and I asked, "What if it had been her plane that got hijacked?". Then, he said, he would re-enlist and go "get" the people responsible for her death. Like most people during that time period, his mother did get stranded in Chicago, unable to get her flight out as planned. My Mother lived about 30 miles south of NYC and the phone lines were down in PA where my son and daughters reside. It was after that, I sent the arse, all his photos back and destroyed his letters and cards. What a jerk; not a care about those who lost their lives, nor about my brother, children or mother's safety. Little did I know that the act of returning the photos he sent me, would be the catalyst for his revenge plot to destroy my life.

Unrelated to homelessness is an earthquake, I imagine it was the Northridge quake. I recently read that one should never stand in doorways, which is what I thought was the advice I always read when I just happened to be sitting on the "stoop" or back doorway during the last quake I felt. Slash, obviously heard all the same advice I once did, because he got his wife up from sleep to stand her in the doorway and then attended to getting her cousin up and doing likewise.

No comments: