Sunday, February 22, 2009

Laurie R. Kind

Author, Laurie R. King, often features homeless characters in her Kate Martinelli detective novel series. Reason could be that Kate lives in San Francisco.

A homeless character in "To Play The Fool" speaks in quotes, such as "A woman, a dog, and a walnut tree, the more you beat them the better they be." I do not know if King made up the quotes or if they are like Old Wives Tales. since I read this book last August do not know if one of the homeless guy's quotes was:

"First the man takes a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes the man."
I think that aptly describes the effect of alcoholic beverages on people.

In King's book "With Child" there is a teenage runaway named Dio. Dio fled an abusive household. King writes the plight of a homeless teen as if she knows one in real life.

Part of a quote from "Nightwork":

"~through the still crowded emergency room, (more domitory for the area's homeless at this hour than it was hospital) ~ ".

I only tried that one time. An older homeless man I saw often around the 7/11 area who seldom spoke to me, told me to go to the Torrance Hospital. I meet a man who was "living" at that hospital. He later appeared at the Alamitos Beach picnic area in Long Beach. Again, King must have experienced a late-night or early A.M. scene at an emergency room where homeless go to get out of the cold.

Also in "To Play The Fool" a character says of homeless people "We are used to being invisible or an annoyance."

No comments: