Monday, April 26, 2010

H.R.4594

April 16, 2010

Thank you for contacting me about H.R. 4594, the International Violence against Women Act of 2010. I appreciate the opportunity to hear your thoughts on this issue.

As you may know, H.R. 4594 would fund programs worldwide that have shown a successful record of combating violence against women. Funding would go to women's shelters, health care services for victims of violence, and programs to create economic and educational opportunities for women. This legislation was introduced by Congressman Bill Delahunt on February 4, 2010, and was subsequently referred to the House Committees on Foreign Affairs and Armed Services.
I am proud to be a cosponsor of this important legislation. Violence against women is a problem of epidemic proportions worldwide. Every day, young women across the world are sold into slavery by human traffickers. Increasingly, women are targets of violence in war torn nations. I saw firsthand the tragic effects of such violence when I visited a women's shelter in Kabul,

Afghanistan. I recognize the need for the United States to be a leader in the global effort to fight violence against women. I recently introduced a resolution to the U.S. House of Representatives that calls attention to this very issue. House Resolution 929 will recognize an international day to honor the 60th anniversary of the United Nations General Assembly's adoption of the Convention for the Suppression of the Traffic in Persons and of the Exploitation of the Prostitution of Others. While I am not a member of either of the committees set to review H.R. 4594, I will be sure to keep your views in mind should this bill come up for a vote on the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives.

Again, thank you for taking the time and effort to contact me regarding H.R. 4594, the International Violence against Women Act of 2010. As your Congresswoman, I hope that you will continue to inform me of your opinions so that I can best represent you in the future.

Sincerely,
Laura A. Richardson
Member of Congress

No comments: