Truth Matters was the title of a shared You Tube video at Facebook this morning. Text then went on to tell a lie. Might say LOL, but it is not funny because people are sharing the video helping spread falsehoods about President Obama. The lie is that the Constitution states that BOTH PARENTS (allcaps, writer's, not mine, s/he needed to emphasize the lie, I suppose) have to be U.S. citizens in order for children born of the union to be citizens.
To save you time of reading what the Constitution says on the matter of citizenship here it is:
Currently, Title 8 of the U.S. Code fills in the gaps left by the Constitution. Section 1401 defines the following as people who are "citizens of the United States at birth:"
- Anyone born inside the United States *
- Any Indian or Eskimo born in the United States, provided being a citizen of the U.S. does not impair the person's status as a citizen of the tribe
- Any one born outside the United States, both of whose parents are citizens of the U.S., as long as one parent has lived in the U.S.
- Any one born outside the United States, if one parent is a citizen and lived in the U.S. for at least one year and the other parent is a U.S. national
- Any one born in a U.S. possession, if one parent is a citizen and lived in the U.S. for at least one year
- Any one found in the U.S. under the age of five, whose parentage cannot be determined, as long as proof of non-citizenship is not provided by age 21
- Any one born outside the United States, if one parent is an alien and as long as the other parent is a citizen of the U.S. who lived in the U.S. for at least five years (with military and diplomatic service included in this time)
- A final, historical condition: a person born before 5/24/1934 of an alien father and a U.S. citizen mother who has lived in the U.S.
* There is an exception in the law — the person must be "subject to the jurisdiction" of the United States. This would exempt the child of a diplomat, for example, from this provision.
Anyone falling into these categories is considered natural-born, and is eligible to run for President or Vice President. These provisions allow the children of military families to be considered natural-born, for example.
President Obama was born in Hawaii, making him a U.S. citizen at birth. The other lie re President Obama's birth is that the birth certificate is a fake. It is not. Illegal immigrants argue that their children born in the U.S. are citizens, therefore they should not be deported. Yet the ejects want to keep spreading the lie that President Obama is not a born U.S. citizen. Born versus a naturalized citizen, such as my father was.
The person who posted the video commented that he is not forming an opionion, just disseminating ~ whatever that means. What he is doing is helping to spread a lie. I would remove him as a FB friend; he also is fond of clicking Like any ole thing, and following orders to Click Here thinking he will get the free Queen Bee or purple cow or whatever game scam happens his way. Except he is a nephew and I care about him very much.