Monday, September 26, 2011

Troy Davis & Boston Legal

This morning, I checked out news' headline about a storm moving north along the east coast. Heavy rains and flooding due to recent hurricanes make the possibly of more downpours on rain swollen lands a threat. This news concerns me because it might affect my family. A person left a negative comment about rednecks in Texas and GOD, yes typed with all caps. Someone commented on the rudeness of that comment. Said the person who posted must have voted for President Obama and must believe Troy Davis was innocent, because no sane person would think that. Um....

Logic?

Another person commented to that comment pointing out that ~ what was it ~ 7 out of 9 witnesses recanted their testimony. I added to that comment; I do not know if Troy Davis was guilty or innocent, but he was found guilty based on the witness testimony; there was no DNA evidence that proved that he pulled the trigger of the gun whose bullet killed the policeman. I suggested the person who judged people's sanity read "The Innocent Man" by John Grisham, if s/he was not knowledgeable of police tactics.

Witnesses who recanted their testimony in the Davis case said they had been coheirced into telling the police what they wanted to hear, even if what they wanted to hear was not the truth. The innocent man in Grisham's book admitted guilt for a crime he did not do because he was tired, hungry and disoriented. He figured it would all get straightened out in the morning, gave up protesting his innocence thinking he would be allowed to finally eat and go to sleep.

The same thing happened to the so-called Central Park Rapists ~ a young man confessed to crime implicating his friends. After spending six years in jail, they were released when the lone rapist of the woman who was brutally beaten confessed to his crime. DNA evidence proved his guilt and the innocence of the boys. Based on that reasoning, I was one of those who believe Davis should not have been executed ~ it was not proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that Davis was guilty.

Tonight I was watching some episodes of Boston Legal at TV Land dot com. Alan is representing his law partner, Denny in front of the Supreme Court. The site says the episode, #101, was aired on December 8, 2008. I just love James Spader's character. I tend to forget he is reciting lines that someone else wrote; whoever those writers are they think like me. Alan (Spader) gives the Supreme Court Justices hell for decisions they made (in real life) that favor multi-million (or is that billion) dollar corporations over the "little guy", us citizens.

Alan does not say "Troy Davis" but I am sure that is whom he was speaking about when he mentioned the Supreme Court's refusal to stay the execution in a case where 7 out of 9 (or was it  out of 7) witnesses recanted their testimony, causing reasonable doubt as to his guilt. Might say a television series use the show's episodes to redress government for grievances.

If Troy Davis had not been executed this week, it was highly unlikely I would know what case Spader's character referred to. When I saw the news that the Supreme Court refused to grant a stay on the execution, I had to refresh my memory on who Davis was. I read extensively about the case before I signed the petitions that came my way.

In my mind, all criminals claim innocence, yet I have been accused of doing things that I never thought about doing, so am willing to presume innocence until guilt is proven. Even so, it is exactly cases like the ones Grisham wrote about in his book, that makes me an avid non-supporter of the death penalty. The country may have just executed another innocent man.

1 comment:

bruce100 said...

I just saw the same episode and was surprised to hear about troy davis in a show that aired 4yrs ago. love alan shore