Monday, February 27, 2012

Hero

I have never been to a funeral or wake where people debased the deceased, even if the deceased was a bit of a scoundrel. I say a bit of because I have never attended such functions for a really bad person ~ such as a murderer. If a man abused his wife, children or grandchildren, drank himself to death, had a drug habit, those things are ignored upon his (or her) death. For all I know the people I encounter on the Internet do find it acceptable to belittle the deceased following death.

Whitney Houston dies and Facebook lights up with complaints; thous shalt not mourn the loss of a celebrity, thous shalt honor a real hero.

Well, gee, I do not find urinating on corpses to be a courageous or noble act. Nor do I consider slaughtering women to be heroic or leaving children's bloody body parts strewn across streets. What honor is there is torturing other human beings? I do not think a person signing up to join a country's military to be a heroic act.

I do thank veterans for being willing to kill or be killed on my behalf. But I do not think that is what they are doing. I think they are dong a government's bidding ~ killing, not to keep us safe, but out of greed for oil or land or gold. There are exceptions to that, of course. Ridding Germany of Hilter was a good thing. It is common,

I understand, to take jewelry and dog tags from those who soldiers have killed. I also understand it takes a lot of courage to knowingly put oneself in harms way, even if the reason for doing so is not a good one. Yet I do not get why Whitney Houston's death has to be about our troops. Sure she had a problem with drugs; so do many of our veterans and even active service people. She also cared about other human beings, including our troops.

Why not dwell on her positive contributions to society rather than ragging on her after death, much as would be done at a private wake or funeral.  Her death does not diminish the deaths of those who died in wars. She paid tribute to Desert Storm troops with a concert for returning soldiers and their families. She paid tribute to NYC firefighters and police who dealt with (or lost lives) after the 911 tragedy by donating all proceeds from her Star Spangled Banner chart topping rendition to their disaster relief funds.

She also paid tribute to homeless, hungry and poor children with donations, which included building learning and research center. To those hungry she feed, she may indeed have seemed somewhat a hero in her own way.

No comments: