Saturday, May 26, 2012

Gathering of Waters

Cold day in Long Beach, I decided to stay inside after spending the morning helping at a nearby Food Bank. I wanted to read a mystery novel, but opted for Gathering of Waters by Bernice L. McFadden. Was not sure why I checked it out of the library. Glad I did. Excellent.

It does not have anything to do with politics. It has less to do with homelessness. I use the excuse of any novel's slightest mention of street people, vagrants, bums, transients or homeless people to post about it on my Homeless in Long Beach blog. There is a mention of President Eisenhower in Gathering of Waters. And Hurricane Katrina. And Emmett Till. The death of Medgar Evers, and also three Civil Rights activists...

I finished reading King Peggy last night. Both books mention animism, "which is the idea that souls inhabit all objects, living things, and even phenomena." As explained in this book, when the object is destroyed or living thing dies, the soul that inhabited it, flies off to find a new home. The souls sometimes bring "baggage", memories with them. "Oftentimes these memories manifest in humans as deja vu."

I hope to remember that the next time I experience deja vu; study the circumstances, see if I can make sense of it.

One of the characters is dating a lady from Ghana. King Peggy was born in Ghana. As with young children, this lady is able to see spirits. As children age, "that window known as spiritual consciousness slipped closed." "Animals are also extremely sensitive to the spirits that live amongst you."

Gathering of Waters starts in the early 1900s leading up to that fateful summer of '55 when Emmett Till, a character in the novel was brutally murdered. The story moves on, from Money, Mississippi to Detroit, ending  up back in Money in 2005. I think there was an error at the end of Chapter Twenty-Seven.

Character called Fish "loaded Hemmingway's belongings into the trunk..." It seems to me he was putting Hemmingway's daughter Tass' belongings into the trunk of the car, as it was Tass moving with him to Detroit, not Hemmingway.

After her husband passes away a character tells her son: "...the only person who is the boss of me is me." That reminded me of what I told countless men: "My father's dead, I don't have a husband, and the only man I answer to (pointing skyward) is that man up there." I am sure I read: "You're not the boss of me," in another novel.

King Peggy also had a problem with the men in Otuam, Ghana which she was chosen to rule.

President Obama does not think women are inferior to men. He adores and respects First Lady Michelle, his wife. He gives Secretary of State Hillary Clinton more credit than I think she deserves. He believes women should get equal pay for equal work. That is a good example for boys who will someday become men and husbands. I was able to turn this book read post into something political after all.

No comments: