Friday, May 27, 2016

Trump Promises Energy Independence

Scrolling news headlines I saw: Trump Promises Energy Independence. A first sentence: Donald Trump on Thursday pledged to make the United States fully energy independent as president.

Wow, I thought, maybe I misjudged the man; perhaps he is not as bad as I imagine him to be. This morning I read one of the articles. Oops, he is as bad as I imagined him to be, sigh.

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always gotten. Trump wants to do what we have always done. More drilling for oil, increase coal mining production, and so on. What happens, I have often wondered, when the oil is gone.

Kind of like what early U.S. settlers did with the buffalo ~ never considering their grandchildren's grandchildren who may have wanted to hunt buffalo. Trump has never known hardship; what would he know or care about future generations needs ~ let them solve the problem of no more oil, no more coal, as long as we stop importing oil now.


Energy independence means finding and using alternate sources of fuel. President Obama moved us a tiny bit in the right direction promoting use of solar energy through government tax incentives for homeowners who installed solar panels. He could have lead by example such as installing solar panels in the White House. In an effort to make the U.S. less dependent upon oil we will not be lighting the traditional Christmas Tree while I am in office. Ha, ha, the Obama-is-Muslim crowd would have gone wild with that one.

I also have a problem with Trump claiming that coal miners love their jobs. Perhaps some of them do. It seems to me most coal miners loathe the job, but work coal mines because there are no other jobs available where they live; they want to eat, provide for their family, pay that electric bill, and, ahem, heat their homes.

No comments: