Monday, March 27, 2023

The Lord's Prayer

 Ah, I am easily distracted from my goals! I shared the Yahoo comment because I replied to it on the article. Yes, I still forget my vow to stop doing that. Better to reply here on my blog that no one reads either. Maybe I should try an offline diary?

As a child I was confused by the way we recited The Lord's Prayer (or the Our Father) in public school, and the way I was taught to say it in Catechism (or Religious Instructions.) 

I looked up the verse in my father's Catholic Bible (which I never knew him to read, he was agnostic,) and my mother's Protestant Bible (which she read daily, but maybe not the entire thing, certain verses that she loved.) 

The public school was using the King James Bible version, my church, obviously using a Catholic version. 

I have read all the New Testament, some, like Matthew, Mark, Luke, James read multiple times. I have read a lot of the Old Testament of the Bible. Do not get far in the "begat, begat, begat" stuff ~ too confusing,  nor Proverbs and Psalms ~ too many, too long and most boring. 

Jesus said you cannot serve two masters, you will love the one and hate the other. So I ditched my Bibles and became an atheist. I had long before stopped being Catholic. I could never reconcile using fertility rites with remembrance of Christ's death, and celebrating the resurrection. What does Santa, trees, lights have to do with birth of Christ child? 

I could no longer be Christian and celebrate those two high holy days. I could only celebrate them as American holidays. For better or worse, I choose to go along with family and their holidays. Biblical story of creation did not make sense to me, so yes, reading the Bible turned me into an  atheist. 

Yet I know many who do Bible Studies who remain Catholic or other Christians. I did my own studying. That is the difference. 

No comments: