Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Inflation

 Inflation

Did not share an old Facebook "memory" post about inflation.

Girl Scout cookies cost 23 cents per box of 44 cookies in 1960 ~ minimum wage was $1.00

Federal minimum wage is $7.25; the cookies cost $5.00 a box and have 14 cookies. 

Or in 1960 a minimum wage worker would work 1 hour to buy 4 boxes of cookies; today that 1 hour can only buy one box ~ and get a lot less cookies in today's economy.

---

My first tax paying job, I was paid, I think, 75 cents an hour. It was part time, in 1964. When I made that post, I did look up how much the cookies cost in 1960 & would think I did the same for minimum wage. 

Even after I went full time after graduating high school, I do not remember $1.00 an hour. Wish I had saved some paystubs. I worked in retail department store in the office, and earned 10 cents an hour more than the sales floor teens my age. 

2022/2023 complaints about inflation ~ I wonder how much those smaller, less tasty boxes of girl scout cookies cost now.

No comments: