Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Whole Earth

 The only flag I would fly is a Whole Earth flag. 

Christians and others, but mostly Christians, insist that their God created the earth. He did not create countries, humans did that. They decided it was okay to claim ownership over areas of land, give it a name, rule the people living upon that land. They fly flags; They fight. I want your land to be my land. I want your natural resources to be my natural resources. I do not want your people to come to my land.

One earth, people should be able to move about it freely without restrictions. Imagine a no borders world! Of course, I understand, that can create problems. People bringing diseases or invasive species into other areas. 

I happened upon a PBS series: The U.S. and the Holocaust Some one who favored allowing Jews to immigrate to the United States said something I often say: there is plenty of room in the United States, let them come. How many Jewish lives could the United States have helped to save if they had allowed an influx of Germany (Poland, etal) Jews to flee Nazi Germany?

Does the United States have enough jobs and natural resources to support a large influx of refugees and immigrants? Probably not. Droughts and water shortages, limiting available water for drinking, growing crops, bathing and all else that needs water. 

Could the government place refugees on large stretch of unoccupied land, and let them create their own towns, their own jobs? The government owns all unoccupied land, so bring back the Homestead Act. Let newcomers settle the land, much like in pioneer days. Humane would be to give them tents and seeds to get started. If they arrive with all their worldly possessions, they might have useful tools. They also might be skilled professionals ~ doctors, nurses, technicians. 

I have never been able to travel, but got to meet people from around the world, living in the "International City," Long Beach, California. I love learning about their cultures, their religions, and getting to taste their foods. 

What a wonderful earth if people stopped hating the others, rather than embracing them. 

No comments: