Tuesday, November 22, 2022

You Talk Too Much

 You Talk Too Much is an old song by Joe Jones. I used to dedicate it to my now ex husband. We were to go on a double date with a co-worker. He asked if my husband talked. I said, "you can not get a word in edgewise."

After reading a headline: Will Trump Sink Herschel Walker, I am again reminded: they talk too much. They endlessly talk about coming elections; during elections; after elections. You know what theysay, if you don't have anything to say, never say it outloud.

We do talk too much, myself included. Article comments become a political forum. Can not call them debates. Insults, rude comments, distorted truth, whataboutism, deflection. Some will mention the number of Dislikes or comments by another poster.  That comment is aimed at a person gaga over Don the Con, or "baby killer" types. 

A recent article about the mass shooting in a nightclub being called "gay club." Maybe lesbians are considered gay? Trans, bi? Because, it seems the club is a mixed crowd, not just homosexual males. I digress.  

It did not take long for those commenting to turn it into a political debate: "people in PA voted for a vegetable", Joe Biden, DJT, Hunter Biden, Hillary Clinton, evil "baby killers." A few did offer sympathy for the deceased's loved ones. I am surprised they did not call the former First Lady, Michael. 

My mother always told me, to keep your words, tender and sweet, for tomorrow you may have to eat them. She did not, really. I have not yet credited my father for saying: keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool; open it and remove all doubt. 

Parents do use quotes, such as my mother saying "thou dost protest too much." My father was fond of saying: "fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice shame on you".

My latest is to reply to a rude, crude comment: "why you are pointing fingers, someone else is judging you," name that tune. 


No comments: